Universal Credit can provide payments for housing costs – this is what’s needed to claim

We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.

Universal Credit housing costs payments can provide support when it comes to paying rent or covering mortgage repayments. Housing costs will usually be evaluated and awarded during the initial Universal Credit claim. 

However, to ensure housing cost payments are paid out correctly, a person will need to provide certain information.

For renters, applicants will need to bring evidence of how much their rent is, which could include:

  • a current tenancy agreement
  • a current rent statement
  • a current rent book, or
  • a signed letter from a landlord.

Mortgage holders may also receive help with the costs of their mortgage payments.

To get help for mortgages, a person will need to provide evidence for the mortgage or loan which could be:

  • a mortgage agreement
  • a current mortgage statement
  • a loan agreement or
  • bank statements showing the payment of the mortgage or loans.

Universal Credit UK: Open letter calls on Rishi Sunak to make changes [INSIGHT]
Universal Credit warning: Claimants may be fined up to £10,000 [WARNING]
Martin Lewis issues urgent warning on ‘above inflation’ price hikes

It should be noted help with mortgage payments or loans will be provided as a loan.

The claimant will only be asked to pay back their loan if the property claimed for is sold or transferred to someone else.

The claimant can also choose to pay back the loan early if they wish.

Evidence provided for support for housing costs will be checked by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and as such, any delays in providing them with the correct documents may result in delays in payments.

How is Boris Johnson handling the coronavirus crisis? Vote in our poll 

Mortgage help can only be received if a person has been claiming Universal Credit for 39 weeks or more, with no breaks or earned income in that tie.

To make an initial claim for Universal Credit, a person must be on a particularly low income, out of work entirely, or be unable to work.

Certain information is also needed for regular claims, such as bank details, contact information and breakdowns of costs and income.

Applications are done online and there is a “Help to Claim” service available which can guide people through the process.

It will, usually take around five weeks to get an initial payment unless an advance – which needs to be paid back – is applied for.

Beyond that, Universal Credit is paid once a month, usually into a bank, building society, or credit union account.

After the initial payment, the claimant will be paid on the same date of every month.

If the payment date falls on a weekend or bank holiday, the claimant will usually be paid on the first working day before this.

Source: Read Full Article