THE best new cars on sale in 2020 have been revealed – with a spacious family car taking out top spot.
Ford's Puma was voted the overall best vehicle at last night's What Car? Car of the Year Awards.
As one of the most respected awards evenings in the motoring industry, the event saw experts crown the cars offering the most for British motorists in each category.
The Puma earned top honours for the practicality and enjoyment it offers owners, almost 20 years after its last model was released.
And with a price tag of just £20,545, the SUV is an affordable option for most families.
The spacious model also took out the best motor in the small SUV category, largely thanks to its economical engine.
What Car? Car of the Year 2020 winners
- Car of the Year: Ford Puma
- Best Performance Car: Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
- Best Sports Car: Alpine A110 Pure
- Best Luxury SUV: Audi Q7
- Best Coupe: Audi TT
- Best Plug-In Hybrid: BMW 3 Series
- Best Executive Car: BMW 3 Series
- Best Luxury Car: BMW 5 Series
- Best MPV: Citroën Berlingo
- Best Small SUV: Ford Puma
- Best Hot Hatch: Honda Civic Type R GT
- Best Value Car: Kia Picanto
- Best Family SUV: Range Rover Evoque
- Best Coupe SUV: Range Rover Velar
- Best Convertible: Mercedes-Benz S-Class
- Best Large SUV: Peugeot 5008
- Best Sports SUV: Porsche Macan S
- Best Small Electric Car: Renault Zoe
- Best Family Car: Skoda Scala
- Best Estate Car: Skoda Superb
- Best Large Electric Car: Tesla Model 3
- Best Hybrid: Toyota Corolla
- Best Small Car: Volkswagen Polo
- Best Pick-Up Truck: Volkswagen Amarok
- Safety Award: BMW 3 Series
- Reader Award: Land Rover Defender
- Reliability Award: Lexus
- Technology Award: Subaru
Steve Huntingford, editor at What Car?, said: "As a small SUV, the Ford Puma competes in one of the fastest-growing sectors of the car market.
"Crucially, it also excels in all the areas that are important to buyers, according to our research.
"Thanks to its sharp handling, gutsy engine and clever mild hybrid technology, it offers a mix of fun and frugality not previously seen among its competitors.
"Plus, it’s as practical as it is stylish. In short, the Ford Puma is truly outstanding."
The 2020 awards saw three new categories added: best small electric, best large EV and best coupe SUV.
The Renault Zoe earned top honours in the best small electric car field, while the Peugeot 5008 appeared on the winners list in the large EV category.
The Range Rover Velar took the third new prize as the best coupe SUV for drivers in 2020.
The Kia Picanto was named the best value car on the market for the second-year running, with drivers getting plenty of bang for their buck at just £13,500.
latest motors news
The seven changes you can make to save £1,350 a year on your car costs
I'm a roadside mechanic and there's one car issue I'm always called out to fix
I called AA after my car broke down in dark but they 'don't prioritise on gender'
My neighbour wants to dig up my garden to put in an EV charger – your rights
The Skoda Scala was voted the best family vehicle, while the popular Volkswagen Polo was top of the small car category.
Other winners included the Toyota Corolla (best hybrid), Honda Civic Type R GT (hot hatch), BMW 5 Series (luxury car), Audi TT (coupe) and Ranger Rover Evoque (family SUV).
Earlier this month, we revealed the safest cars in every category from last year.
Source: Read Full Article