PIP claimants can have their council tax halted or reduced – eligibility rules explained

Martin Lewis discusses universal credit help for those on PIP

When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters.Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer.Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights.You can unsubscribe at any time.

PIP claimants can receive support if they have a health condition resultsing in the claimant having difficulty with daily living or getting around (for a minimum of three months). On top of this, the difficulties must be expected to continue for at least nine months.

So long as a claimant is eligible, they’ll receive a monthly payment between £23.60 and £151.40 per week.

These payments will be split into two elements, a daily living part and a mobility part, with the claimant’s condition severity determining if they’ll get income from both.

Where claimants qualify for the daily living part, they’ll receive either £59.70 or £89.15 per week.

Recipients of mobility payments will get £23.60 or £62.25 a week.

On top of this, claimants of PIP may also be able to get money off their council tax bills.

According to Citizens Advice, the exact reduction will vary from person to person but local councils can provide additional information.

Additionally, claimants will not have to pay any council tax if their doctor certifies that anyone in the home has a severe mental condition such as Alzheimer’s, according to the Money Advice Service.

Under these circumstances, they must also qualify for the PIP daily living component, but they do not actually need to be claiming it.

To apply for a council tax reduction, claimants will need to contact their local council and they may need to send them a copy of their PIP award letter.

PIP can be received by state pension claimants under certain conditions [INSIGHT]
PIP claimants may trigger benefit fraud alerts – full details [WARNING]
Martin Lewis quizzes Citizens Advice boss on PIP rules

Initial claims for PIP can be made by calling the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

Before calling, claimants will need to have the following ready:

  • Their contact details
  • Their date of birth
  • Their National Insurance number
  • Their bank or building society account number and sort code
  • Their doctor or health worker’s name, address and telephone number
  • Dates and addresses for any time they’ve spent abroad, in a care home or hospital

Once a claim is made, the following process will likely occur:

  • Claimants will be sent a “How your disability affects you” form
  • They’ll need to fill in the form using the notes that come with it to help. Citizens Advice also provide guidance on how to fill out the form
  • The form will need to be returned to DWP and claimants will have 28 days to do so. DWP will start processing a claim when they receive this form
  • Should more information be needed, an independent health professional will send the claimant a letter to invite them to an assessment over the phone. They’ll be asked questions about their ability to carry out activities and how their condition affects their daily life
  • Finally, they’ll get a letter telling them whether you’ll get PIP. If they do, they’ll be told how much they’ll get, when they’ll be paid and the date their PIP will be reviewed so that they continue to get the right support

Should a claimant be unhappy with a PIP decision, they’ll be able to ask to have it looked at again under mandatory reconsideration rules.

To do this, claimants will need to contact the benefits office that gave the decision and this can be done by phone, by letter or by filling in a specific form.

Mandatory reconsideration requests need to be made within one month of the original decision.

Following this, the benefits office involved will provide claimants with a “mandatory reconsideration notice” telling them whether they’ve changed their decision.

Do you have a money dilemma which you’d like a financial expert’s opinion on? If you would like to ask one of our finance experts a question, please email your query to [email protected] 

Source: Read Full Article