- You can download Vimeo videos to your computer using the download button located on the file's public page.
- You can also add any Vimeo video to your phone for offline viewing on the mobile app as an alternative to downloading.
- Not all Vimeo videos will have a download option, but you can still do it using a third-party app as long as you have permission and are not violating copyright law.
- Visit Business Insider's Tech Reference library for more stories.
Vimeo is a video platform, much like YouTube, that allows its hundreds of millions of monthly users to watch and share videos. But unlike YouTube, the platform is also a video production software provider, offering its creator-driven community a full suite of editing tools through its paid subscription service.
Among its many tools, Vimeo offers a download option that lets creators engage with their work offline. This download setting is only available to paid users of Vimeo with Business, Plus, or Pro accounts, with download capabilities determined by the uploader.
If a video does not have a download option, it's probably for a good reason: Many users on Vimeo don't want their content downloaded or redistributed, so they set it so that downloads are not possible. But a video may also not have the download option because the user doesn't have the right account tier.
If downloading is turned on, the option will be viewable next to the share button underneath the player on the desktop site. To view videos without an internet connection on the mobile app, you can add them to your offline playlist.
You can also download a video from the desktop site without a download button by using a third-party app. It's important to note that downloading and redistributing videos without the copyright holder's permission is illegal and comes with financial and legal consequences. So when downloading a video without a Vimeo download button, use discretion, and don't post it without getting permission from the original uploader first.
You can refer to the Creative Commons license guide and use the License filter in Vimeo's Advanced Search to help you locate videos with appropriate permissions.
Here's how to download a Vimeo video on the desktop site, through a third-party app, and on the mobile app.
How to download a Vimeo video on the desktop site
1. Log into the Vimeo site.
2. Search for the video you want to download.
3. On the video's page, find the "Download" underneath the video and click it.
4. In the window that appears, choose the video quality you'd like to save the download in.
5. The video will now be available in your computer's Downloads folder.
How to use a third-party site to download a Vimeo video
1. Open the page for the Vimeo video you want to download.
2. Use the Ctrl+L and then Ctrl+C shortcuts to highlight and then copy the URL to your clipboard.
3. Go to savevideo.me or a similar site and paste the Vimeo URL into the text box.
4. Click the Download button to ready the video for conversion.
5. Choose from the list of links which video quality you want and right-click on its associated hyperlink.
6. Click "Save link as…" to save the file to your computer.
7. Name the file and select the folder you want to save it on your computer.
8. Select Save to download it.
How to download a video on Vimeo on the mobile app
1. Launch the Vimeo app.
2. Search for and open the video you want to download.
3. Tap the three dots either in top right of the video player or just beneath the right bottom corner of the player.
4. In the menu window that appears, select "Add to offline playlist."
5. To access your offline playlist, tap the bookmark icon at the bottom of the screen to the right of the + button.
6. Switch over to the Offline tab.
Related coverage from Tech Reference:
How to upload a video to Vimeo in minutes using the website or mobile app
How to speed up Vimeo videos using 'Speed controls,' a built-in feature of certain paid subscriptions
How to embed a Vimeo video on another website to share it with others
How to delete your Vimeo account if you want to start fresh or no longer use the video platform
How to cancel your Vimeo subscription if you no longer need to use the premium-tier service
Source: Read Full Article