How to claim extra £900 in Council Tax support

PMQs: Boris Johnson responds to council tax criticism

When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.

If you’re on a low income you could be eligible for money off your council tax bill. Many Brits have struggled over the pandemic and if you need extra financial support to pay your bills you might be able to claim this tax relief.

The Treasury allowed councils to raise council tax bills in last year’s spending review as many councils were struggling with a loss of income due to the Covid crisis.

With thousands of households seeing their council tax bills rise by a painful 5 percent in April, this extra support could be vital to many.

Almost three million Brits could be missing out on this tax relief.

The charity Turn2us has found that 2.77 million Britons are missing out on this support.

This they say equates to a staggering £2.6billion of help to pay their bills.

Who is eligible?

If you are claiming benefits including Universal Credit or if you are on a low income you could be eligible to claim money off your council tax bill.

Those eligible would claim up to 100 percent off their council tax.

Other things which will affect how much you can claim include: your earnings, household income, how many children you have and how many people are in your household, your residency status and if you’re claiming benefits.

You might even be able to claim a tax reduction if you aren’t on a low income or claiming benefits so it’s worth checking.

How much could you claim?

Turn2us say on average claimants are missing out on £938 on average.

The charity added this is the most common benefit that Britons are missing out on.

But this figure will vary between different councils as each runs its own support scheme.

This might mean, depending on your area, you could be entitled to claim even more or less than this.

How can you claim?

You will need to apply through you can check online to see if you are eligible and how much of a reduction you can claim.

To apply you’ll need to have your National Insurance card, bank statements, a recent payslip or a letter from the Jobcentre or Tax Credits showing your NI number, and a passport or driving licence to hand.

You might have to provide other documents if you live with other adults such as their payslips to show how much they are earning.

All of this can be done online through the website, but those from Northern Ireland are not eligible for the same scheme at the moment.

Source: Read Full Article