Drivers could be fined £1000 for NOT driving their cars during cost of living crisis – make sure YOU don’t pay the price | The Sun

DRIVERS could be fined £1,000 for not driving their car during the cost of living crisis – here's how to make sure you don't pay the price.

While many are choosing to hang up their car keys and keep their car off the road as fuel costs rise, they're being warned there are steps they must take to avoid a fine.

Motorists must inform the DVLA if they are planning to keep their car off the road and untaxed, and they will be issued with a SORN – Statutory Off Road Notification. 

A SORN is necessary to avoid fines, which motorists can be slapped with if a camera or the police spots the car on the road when it is not covered with road tax.  

A warning letter with fines will be sent via post if motorists are caught out.

It is £100 if your car is uninsured, and £40-£100 if your road tax has expired. Court action after this can raise fines to up to £1000. 

Read more on fines

Our neighbour was fined £68k after we grassed him up for chopping down trees

I was fined £60 for taking my daughter to Spain during term time…but we saved MORE

Making the notification is straightforward and can be done online via the DVLA’s website, according to experts from

Drivers only need to do a SORN once, and the notification will be automatically overturned if the vehicle is taxed again. 

Motorists will know a SORN has been successfully processed when they receive a letter from the DVLA within four weeks. 

The government assumes all cars are on UK roads unless they are SORN and therefore require them to be taxed.  

Most read in The Sun


Plusnet goes down leaving thousands of customers without internet access


Warning for WhatsApp users – new update totally changes texts forever


Pep Guardiola's daughter sends Instagram followers wild with bikini snaps


Harry celebrates birthday privately with Meg – but Wills 'hasn't forgotten'

Once the car has had a SORN application, it cannot be driven on the roads, or there will be penalties. 

The DVLA can cross reference the national insurance database with road tax expiration dates to find out which vehicles have cover.  

A spokesman for said: “Times are tough at the moment with the rising cost of living and a lot of people are making some difficult decisions.  

“Some are choosing not to run their cars and are opting for public transport instead. But many don’t realise they could end up with a fine even if their car does not leave the drive. 

“Unless they tell DVLA and obtain a SORN notification the authorities will see the vehicle as untaxed and therefore they could be fined.  

“Receiving a penalty fine when you are actually trying to save cash would be a bitter pill to swallow so we want to make sure all motorists are fully informed of the legal requirements.” 

A SORN is also necessary if you are breaking a car for parts.

If you buy a car classed as SORN, you must make a new claim under the new owner’s name. 

A SORN claim can be made most easily through the DVLA’s website. The car’s make and model information and registration number will be needed.

Most read in Motors


Inside car graveyard where supercars worth millions are forgotten


My neighbour's drive is being sold for £30k… parking is already a nightmare


Vid exposes huge electric car flaw that could see them become ‘lawyer’s picnic’


Watch as Range Rover driver hits parked cars and FLIPS over in town

The 16-digit reference number from the V11 car tax renewal reminder and 11-digit number from the V5C logbook is also needed to complete the process. 

Other ways to get a SORN are by filling in a V890 form from the post office and sending it off to the DVLA, or by calling 0300 123 4321.

Source: Read Full Article