Do I have to pay National Insurance?

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

National Insurance contributions are a tax on workers in the UK.

It’s used to help fund state pension and maternity cover for later life.

Everyone in work will be required to pay National Insurance if they’re an employee earning more than £184 a week, or are self-employed making a profit of at least £6,515 a year.

If you’ve arrived in the UK from Ukraine, you won’t need to pay any National Insurance contributions if you’re not in work.

Once you start your new job, your employer will give you a payslip – a receipt of your pay.

The payslip will detail the exact amount of money you’ve been paid by the company, minus any deductions, including income tax and National Insurance.

You won’t have to do anything at all if you’re employed by a company.

Tax will automatically be taken out of your earnings, and your payslip will show how much you’ve earned after tax.

But, if you’re self-employed, you’ll need to register for self-assessment.

That basically just means you’ll have to do your own taxes, and send a tax return each year.

If you’re employed, you’ll be paying National Insurance contributions until you’ve reached State Pension age.

Most people will be paying between 3.25 percent and 13.25 percent of their income towards National Insurance.

It’s also important to make sure you get a National Insurance number.

Your National Insurance number is used to make sure your contributions and other taxes are recorded against your name.

You don’t need a National Insurance number to start work, as long as you can prove you have the right to work in the UK.

If you don’t have a National Insurance number, you can find more information at

Source: Read Full Article